First Name: Rosetta
Middle Name: Bekinwari
Date of Birth: April 10, 1956
Place of Birth: Abonnema, Akuku-Toru Local Government Area.
State of Origin: Rivers
Local Government Area: Akuku-Toru (AKULGA)
Marital Status: Single
Number of Children: One (Daughter: Ine-Warigbani Thelma Whyte;
Date of Birth: May 21, 1981).
Father: Mr. Isaac Samuel Bob-Manuel (Blessed Memory).
Mother: Mrs. Rosana Isaac Samuel Bob-Manuel; nee: Mark Young-Jack (Blessed Memory).
Brothers: Five (Three of Blessed Memory).
Sisters: Six (Three of Blessed Memory).
Hobbies: Reading, Travelling and Cooking
Languages Spoken: Kalabari, Igbo and English
Countries Visited: England, Denmark, Sweden, Germany, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania and Ghana.
Residential Address: Plot 6, Amadi-George Close, Off CPM Bus Stop, Ogbogoro Town. Obio/Akpor Local Government Area, Rivers State.
Contact Address: Department of Biology
Faculty of Natural and Applied Sciences
Ignatius Ajuru University of Education,
Rumuolumeni, P. M. B. 5047, Port-Harcourt.
Permanent Home Address: Da Ekineye Fubara Samuel Bob-Manuel’s Gate,
Owukori Manuel’s Compound, Abonnema.
Telephone: +234 (0) 803 676 2538.
Present Employment: Ignatius Ajuru University of Education,
Rumuolumeni, P. M. B. 5047,
Port-Harcourt, Rivers State.
Date of Employment: October 18, 1983
Faculty: Natural and Applied Sciences
Current Status: Professor of Entomology.
EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS ATTENDED WITH DATES
- Rivers State University of Science and Technology (UST), Port Harcourt
In International Centre for Insect Physiology in Ecology (ICIPE), Nairobi, Kenya: 1989-1992
- Rivers State University of Science and Technology, Port Harcourt
In International Centre for Insect Physiology and Ecology (ICIPE), Nairobi, Kenya: 1986-1987
- University of Port-Harcourt
P.M.B. 5327, PH. 1978-1982.
- Holy Rosary Secondary School, Port-Harcourt: 1970-1976.
- St. Joseph’s School, Abonnema: 1964-1970.
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) (Applied Entomology)
- Master of Philosophy (M.Phil) Applied Entomology
- B.Sc (Hons.) Zoology
- General Certificate of Education
- First School Leaving Certificate
SCHOLARSHIPS, FELLOWSHIPS, HONOURS & DISTINCTIONS
Rivers State Government Scholarship: 1978-1982 (B.Sc)
- Danish International Development Agency (DANIDA);
- German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) all administered by African Regional Postgraduate Programme in Insect Science (ARPPIS), ICIPE, Nairobi, Kenya: 1989-1992 (Ph.D) & 1986 – 1987 (M.Phil)
*Full Member (MSTAN) of the Science Association of Nigeria, August,
*Fellow, Institute of Corporate Administration (2010): FCAI
Prof. Rosetta Bekinwari Bob-Manuel is born in Abonnema into the family of Mr. and Mrs. Isaac Samuel Bob-Manuel all of Akuku-Toru Local Government Area, Rivers State. She had her Primary Education at St. Joseph’s Primary School, Abonnema and obtained the First School Living Certificate in 1970. Her Secondary Education was at Holy Rosary Secondary School, Port Harcourt, Rivers State. She obtained the General Certificate of Education in 1976. In 1982 she obtained a B.Sc. (Hons) degree in Zoology of the University of Port Harcourt, Rivers State. Prof. R. B. Bob-Manuel studied for Masters (M.Phil.) degree and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree with Danish and German Fellowships: Danish International Development Agency (DANIDA) and the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), respectively, administered by African Regional Postgraduate Programme in Insect Science (ARPPIS) in International Center for Insect Physiology and Ecology (ICIPE), Nairobi, Kenya. As required by the fellowship, she was registered as an External Student of Rivers State University of Science and Technology (Now, Rivers State University) Port Harcourt, for the award of the degrees in 1987 and 1992, respectively, all in the field of Applied Entomology. This fellowship was a rare opportunity and exposed her to the larger society.
Her research interest is the Biological Control of insect pests of Agricultural/Medical importance. She is currently a Professor of Entomology and has published 43 peer-reviewed journal articles, three books, chapters in books and others. She is a member of the Entomological Society of Nigeria (ESN); African Association of Insect Scientists (AAIS); Science Teachers Association of Nigeria (STAN) and others.
Prof. R. B. Bob-Manuel was employed as Graduate Assistant and rose to the rank of Professor by the Rivers College of Education (now, Ignatius Ajuru University Education in 1983 to Date. In her work career she had served her Department (Biology) as Head at three different tenures and an Ambassador Head, of another Department in the same Faculty. Apart from headship of Departments she had served the University in various capacities such as; Warden of Female Students; Examination Officer; Welfare Officer; Chairman/Member of several investigation panels; Member, University Governing Council and many others. Prof. R. B. was proclaimed ‘Women of the Year, 2005’ by the American Biographical Institute, North Carolina, USA she is a fellow of the Institute of Cooperate Administration, 2010 (FCAI).
In her community she had at several times and places served as President, Vice President, Secretary, Financial Secretary, Treasurer, Matron and so on to Associations which objectives border on the encouragement of youths, care of the elderly and generally on the promotion of womanhood. She is also dedicated to the service of the Lord Almighty. Presently, she is a Deaconess in her local assembly ‘Believers Loveworld Inc.’ aka Christ Embassy. She is poised to serve even more diligently in any capacity as the Lord Almighty gives the direction and grace. She is a Jerusalem Pilgrim (JP) of 2007.
Prof. R. B. Bob-Manuel is blessed with a beautiful, intelligent, loving, supportive and God’s servant daughter and a number of foster daughters and sons that have given her beautiful, courageous, handsome and virtuous daughters and sons-in-law as well as amiable, wonderful, God fearing grandchildren and still counting.
The world around us is very large and complex. It is not possible to know and understand it all but distinct fields/aspects of it can be handled. I came to the realisation that God created everything in the world with uniqueness and peculiarities. He never rated anyone or anything greater or more superior than the other. The insects are also in His creation. I therefore believe that their life is the expression of His righteousness, glory, dominion, wisdom, excellence and beauty. This was the genesis of my interest in the insect world.
Secondly, in the cause of study of earlier works on insects, I came across the life, works and dedication of a fellow woman and entomologist: referred to as ‘Mother of Entomology’; she is Maria Sibylla Merian (April 2, 1647 – January 13, 1717); a German born Swiss naturalist and scientific illustrator, who started to observe the works of God in insects from her teenage age to age 69. She was known for her documentation of butterfly metamorphosis, scientific illustrations, etc.
This really inspired me and aroused my commitment to the study of insects (Entomology) to first of all, understand and appreciate their beauty and diversity; secondly, to detect the role of insects in the spread of diseases and discover ways of protecting food crops and livestock from insects feeding damage and thirdly, to respect and appreciate their values as God’s unique creation in the balancing of the ecosystem.
1. Bob-Manuel, R. B. (2020). “Fundamentals of Entomology” Pearl Publishers International LTD, ISBN: 978-978-57703-7-7. 360pp.
2. Onwugbuta-Enyi, J.A., Ogbonda, K.H., Bob-Manuel, R.B. and Bob-Manuel, F.G. (2019) “Essentials of Biology: General Biology 11″, Second edition of Basic Biology 11 (2011). MaryGodwin Press, 111pp.
3. Bob-Manuel, R. B. (2014) “Text Book of Basic Animal Histology”. Anuchuna Educational Books, 203pp.
CHAPTERS IN BOOKS
4. Bob-Manuel, R. B. (2014) “Entomology” In Department of Biology Practical Manual for Biology Courses. Ogbonda, K.H., Bob-Manuel, F.G., & George, T.S. (Eds.). Okoga Printing Press, 96-117.
5. Onwugbuta-Enyi, J.A., Ogbonda, K. H., Bob-Manuel, R. B. & Bob-Manuel, F. G. (2012). “Diversity of Animals“. In. Elements of Biology for Degree Students“. Anachuna Educational Books. 44-110.
6. Bob-Manuel, R. B. (2000) “A Morphological Approach in Understanding The Science of Entomology”. In: Readings in Science and Mathematics Education for Teachers (RESMET) Ed. Odili, G. A., 133-140
JOURNAL ARTICLES (National and International Peer-Reviewed).
7. Bob-Manuel, R. B. & Ukoroije, R. B. (2020). The bacterial properties of the Red Palm Weevil Rhynchophorus phoenicis (Coleoptera : Curculionidae) consumed in Bayelsa State, Nigeria. International Journal of Creative Research Thoughts (IJCRT), 8 (3), 2170-2184.
8. Bob-Manuel, R. B. & Ukoroije, R. B. (2020). Bio-efficiency of extracts of Ocimum gratissimum leaves on Dry Wood Termites, Crytotermes brevis (Isoptera: Rhinotermitidae). International Journal of Science and Technology. 8 (3), 38-44.
9. Bob-Manuel, R. B. (2020). A survey of household ownership of Long Lasting Insecticidal Treated Net (LLITN) in Bori, Rivers State, Nigeria. International Journal of Research and Scientific Innovation (IJRSI) 7 (4), 101-104.
10. Bob-Manuel, R. B., Egbecho, E. & Zakka, U. (2020). Death in the mouth: The current status of pesticide residues in cured fish from selected markets in Rivers State. International Research Journal of Insect Sciences. 5 (1), 14-22.
11. Ukoroije, B. R. & Bob-Manuel, R.B. (2019). A call for domestication and mass rearing of Oryctes owariensis larvae (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae). Noble International Journal of Scientific Research, 3,(10), 103-108.
12. Egbecho, E., Bob-Manuel, R.B. & Zakka, U. (2019). GC-MS analysis of pesticide residue in stored grain legumes and cereals from selected markets in Rivers State, Nigeria. Journal of Agricultural Science and Food Technology (JAFST). 5 (9), 195-204.
13. Ukoroije, R. B. & Bob-Manuel, R. B. (2019). The acceptability of Oryctes owariensis Beauvois (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae) larva as food in Bayelsa State. East African Scholars Journal of Agriculture and Life Sciences. 2 (10), 509-515.
14. *Ukoroije, R. B. & Bob-Manuel, R. B. (2019). Insecticidal activity of leaf powder and ethanolic extracts of Azadirachta indica , Ocimum gratissimum, and Dracaena arborea against nymphs of the domestic pest Periplanata americana (Dictyoptera :Blatellidae).” Noble International Journal of Scientific Research. 3 (12), 117-135.
15. Bob-Manuel, R. B. (2019). A preliminary survey of mosquito larval abundance and species distribution in selected habitats in Omerelu, Rivers State, Nigeria. International Journal of Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics and Science Education. 4 (1), 079-085.
16. Bob-Manuel, R. B. (2019). Spread and persistence of the entomopathogenic fungus, Hirsutella thompsonii Fisher, on the Cassava Green Mite, Mononychellus tanajoa Bondar, in the environment. International Journal of Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics and Science Education. 4 (1), 001-007.
17. Ukoroije, R. B. & Bob-Manuel, R. B. (2019). The acceptability and knowledgeability of Rhynhophorus phoenicis (Coleptera : Curculionidae) grub as food in Bayelsa State, Nigeria. EAS Journal of Nutrition and Food Sciences, 1 (5), 115-120.
18. Ukoroije, R. B. & Bob-Manuel, R. B. (2018). Botfly (Diptera:Oestridae) and cuterebriasis in dogs (Canine canine) in Yenagoa metropolis, Bayelsa State, Nigeria. The International Journal of Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics and Science Education. 3 (1&2), 161-171.
19. Bob-Manuel, R. B. & Bawo, D. D. S. (2017). Ontogeny and Chaetotaxy of Mononychellus tanajoa Bondar infesting cassava crops in Rivers State, Nigeria. Research Journal of Agriculture and Environmental Management. 6 (20), 18-30.
20. Bob-Manuel, R. B. (2017). Assessing the effectiveness and acceptability of Indoor Residual Spraying (IRS) on malaria morbidity in selected communities in Bori, Rivers State, Nigeria. Science and Industrial Technology Education Journal. 5 (2), 233-239
21. Ogbalu, O. K., Eze, C. N., Bob-Manuel, R. B. & Sokari, G. M. (2016). The distribution and seasonality of three major frugivorous flies on fruits of economic importance at the Port Harcourt central grocery. Research Journal of Agriculture and Environmental Management. 5 (1), 19-31.
22. Ogbalu, O. K., Eze. C. N. & Bob-Manuel, R. B. (2016). A new trend of Omphalitis complicated with Myiasis in neonates of the Niger Delta, Nigeria. Epidemiology (Sunnyvale) Open Access. 6 (1), 1-6.
23. Bob-Manuel, R. B. , Okocha, P. I. & Willbraide, V. (2015). An investigation of insect population on local eggplant crop (Solanum melongena L.) planted in Ignatius Ajuru University of Education, Rumuolumeni, Port-Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria. ABSU Journal of Environment, Science and Technology. 6, 804-817.
24. Bob-Manuel, R. B. (2015). A survey of mosquito species prevalence in Rumuolumeni Campus of Ignatius Ajuru University of Education, Port-Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria. ABSU Journal of Environment, Science and Technology. 6, 824-829.
25. Bob-Manuel, R. B. (2015). A survey of indoor resting mosquito species in Rumuolumeni Campus of Ignatius Ajuru University of Education, Port-Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria. ABSU Journal of Environment, Science and Technology. 6, 818-823.
26. Ogbalu, O. K., Bob-Manuel, R. B. & Gbarakoro, T. (2015). The role of Sylepta derogata (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae) in the abscission and defoliation of Okra flowers, seeds and pods in monocrop gardens in Port Harcourt, Nigeria. Journal of Pharmacy and Biological Sciences. 10 (6), 134-138.
27. Ihenko, S. & Bob-Manuel, R. B. (2015). Winning more girls and women for Science, Technology and Mathematics Education in Nigeria. Internatinal Journal of Gender and Development Issues, 1 (4), 155-164.
28. Ogbalu, O. K. & Bob-Manuel R. B. (2014). Abscission of pepper fruits by dipterous pest, Atherigona orientalis (Schiner) in traditional and monocrop farms in Port Harcourt, Niger Delta, Nigeria. Journal of Agriculture and Veterinary Science. 7 (7), 31-36.
29. Bob-Manuel, R. B. & Joseph, E. A. (2013). The roles of insects to the human society: Entomologist view. Continental J. Biological Sciences. 6 (1), 43-48.
30. Bob-Manuel, R. B., Joseph, E. A. & Ihenko, S. (2013). Knowledge of female students toward menarche in secondary schools in Rivers State. Advances in Arts ,Social Sciences and Education Research, 3, (6), 478-482.
31. Bob-Manuel, R. B. & Joseph, E. A. (2013). Resources for universal basic education (UBE) and science, technology and mathematics (STM) education: Challenges and Opportunities. Continental Journal of Education Research, 6, 45-53.
32. Bob-Manuel, R. B., Joseph, E, A. & Ihenko, S. (2012). The biochemistry of academic stress on degree students of Ignatius Ajuru University of Education, Port-Harcourt. Global Educational Journal, 4, 41-48.
33. Jack, I. R., Okorosaye-Orubite, K. & Bob-Manuel, R. B. (2006). Assessment of larvicidal potential of Thymol derivatives on Anopheles mosquitoes. J. Appl. Sci. Environ. Mgt. 10 (10), 63-65.
34. Bob-Manuel, R. B. & Jack, I. R. (2004). Evaluation of the larvicidal potential of Ocimum gratissimum (Labiales:Labiatae) on mosquitoes. International Journal of Science and Technology (IJST). 2 (3), 28-29.
35. Jack, I, R., Fekarurhobo, G.K. & Bob-Manuel, R.B. (2003). Synthesis and isolation of 3,4-BIS (3,4-methynedioxyphenyl) butyrolacton from Cassostrea gaster. International Journal of Science & Technology (IJST) 2, (2), 23-25.
36. Bob-Manuel, R. B. (2002). A case study of human head louse, Pediculus humanus capitis (Siphunculata: Peduculidae) in Rivers and Bayelsa States of Nigeria. Journal of Peadagogy and Education Development. 9 (1), 226-231.
37. Bob-Manuel, R. B. & Okwakpam, B. A. (1997). The effect of Hirsutella thompsonii Fisher on the life histories of the cassava green mite, Mononychellus tanajoa Bondar and the predatory mite, Iphiseuis degenerans Berlese”. Niger Delta Biologia. 2 (1), 10-16.
38. Bob-Manuel, R. B. & Okwakpam, B. A. (1996). Dose-mortality response of Hirsutella thompsonii Fisher and two mite species, the cassava green mite, Mononychellus tanajoa Bondar and the predatory mite, Iphiseuis degenerans Belese. Niger Delta Biologia. 1 (1), 23-30.