Our vision is to develop academic and professional competences which will enable individuals earn a living and render unique services to the society and also provide good basic knowledge and experience that characterise an educated and fully developed person through Health promotion and education strategies and physical activities.
The objectives of Human Kinetics, Health and Safety Education include:
- To produce professionals who can inculcate and promote sound health attitude in post-primary institutions, health agencies and parastatals
- To produce experts who can organise and administer sports programmes (intramural and extramural) at post-primary institutions, tertiary institutions, sports clubs and institutes.
- To initiate and sustain Public Health Education programmes, applying scientific skills and knowledge gained through the study to solve day-to-day problems.
- To observe and explore the physical, biological and social environment with the intent to effecting the necessary changes to make them healthful and habitable.
- To demonstrate convincing enthusiasm and intellectual ability for further studies in Human Kinetics, Health and Safety Education and allied disciplines.
- To developing skills and competences in the areas of Human Kinetics, Health and Safety Education, with capabilities to interpret data, formulate and test hypotheses.
- To demonstrate convincing abilities to initiate and sustain researches in Human Kinetics, Health and Safety Education and allied disciplines.
- To make rational judgements based on the understanding of methods in science.
The Department produces specialists in Health Education and Human Kinetics via the two programmes.
- Health Education is a four (4) year degree programme leading to the award of Bachelor of Science Education, B.Sc (Ed) Health Education.
- Human Kinetics, a four year (4) degree programme leading to the award of Bachelor of Science Education, B.Sc (Ed) Human Kinetics.
Health Education experts teach in schools and other institutions. They are also engaged in health promotion in institutions, ministries, parastatals and provide Primary Health Care services. Human Kinetics experts teach physical education in schools, work as coaches, sports organizers and administrators in sport councils and other establishments.
Dr. Comfort Emma-Elechi
Doctor of Philosophy, (Community Health), University of Port Harcourt, 2017
Master of Education, (Occupational Health and Safety Education), 2008
Post Graduate Diploma, Management, University of Port Harcourt, 2012
Bachelor of Science (Physical & Health Education), University of Port Harcourt, 1998
Human Kinetics Health and Safety
Offers Bachelor of Science Education (B.Sc) degree in Human Kinetics Health and Safety
Health and Safety Education
Offers Bachelor of Science Education (Ed) degree in Health Safety Education