DEPARTMENT OF BUSINESS EDUCATION
The department of Business Education is one of the Department of Ignatius Ajuru University of Education. The Department started in mid 80s as business and secretarial department of faulty of social sciences in main campus at Rumuolumeni. The University was a college of Education. The Department at inception had the following lecturers namely; Mrs Sarah Abigo, Mr. G.S. Robert, Chief Faith Woke, Mr. Sam Otamiri, Mr. Rogers Haliday, Mr. Mike Kerry, Mr. Donatus Umunnah, Mr. Faith Woke, Mr. Aweh, Mr. Ikatta Emmanmuel, Mrs. K.H Eyindah. At that time, the department offered only National Certificate in Education (NCE) and a remedial programme.
In 1990, the department was moved to Ndele Campus still as a department of Business/secretarial but was now in the Faculty of Vocational and Technical Education (VOTECH) at Ndele campus. More lecturers joined the department. The department got approval to run the Bachelor of Education Programme (B.Ed) in 1991/92 session. In the year 2000, the department was relocated to the St. Johns Campus of the University. However, it was still under the faculty of vocational and technical education until 2004/200 session when the then college of Education approved the establishment of the school of Business Education with four options namely; Accounting, management, marketing and secretarial studies. In 2009, the department mounted postgraduate programme in Ph.D, M.Sc,Ed and PGDE under the Faculty of Education. Subsequently in 2022, the department finally moved her undergraduate programme to the Faculty of Education with Dr. Samson O. Wagbara as the Head of Department, Dr. Ile C. Victor and Dr. Sam Eleyi Fortune.
To educate, engage and empower students and transform them into becoming effective business teachers and, professionals through training, research and consultancy services in business and related disciplines.
To be a leader in integrated business education through innovation, creative and hands on learning experiences that prepare out students for opportunities and challenges of a globally competitive world and producing graduates who will be teachers, consultants and practical, dynamic business practitioners.
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
- To produce committed and efficient breed of Business Education Teachers for the junior and senior sections for the Nigerian Secondary Schools
- To produce the manpower endowed with the analytical and critical knowledge of the major factors in contemporary business world to influence the development of a virile economy.
- To produce a course of instruction and all necessary facilities and exposure for the pursuit and acquisition of earning and knowledge for service to humanity
- To provide adequate educational foundation for interested graduates to pursue higher degree in Business Education or/and other relevant areas in Education.
- To equip students with entrepreneurship and business operation skills in order to produce graduates with the right business operation competencies that will enable them to engage in a life of work in the office as well as for self-development
Dr. Sampson .O. Nwagbara
HOD, Department of Business Education